Wednesday, November 16, 2011

16 November

Holding steady at 4 lb. 3 oz. after some feeding problems today.  Also, though I've been very good today breathing with few desats or apneic episodes (and still on 21% oxygen, i.e. regular air), had issues with my CPAP again (just like yesterday).  For instance, when Mom and Dad showed up to visit today my hat was pulled down so low that I couldn't even see - I looked like the guy from Fat Albert who had eyeholes in his hat!
Unfortunately, I was having some major food issues.  For one thing, I had a couple of very large residuals today.  For another, after one major spitup issue earlier in the day, just after Mom and Dad showed up I had ANOTHER one - Dad says I projectile spit-up a good couple of inches straight up into the air.  I think he's exaggerating (not sure my lungs are strong enough - YET - to spit that far), but in any case I got my hat and chin-strap all dirtied so the nurses and RRTs had to replace the whole setup:


The nurse said the bright side was that changing all the tubing and CPAP-wear gave Mom and Dad a brief chance to actually see my face with NO tubing attached - did I forget to mention that I was spitting up so much that I managed to spit up my whole feeding tube so that had to be redone as well?

Personally, I don't see how that helps me - I'd rather have left it on and not have to be messed with for the twenty minutes it took to get everything reattached correctly.  Though I will say I'm proud that I didn't desat the entire time all this was going on, which would not have been the case a couple days ago.  I did cry a fair amount in the hopes that would get them to stop bugging me but no such luck.

Dr. Fituch came by and had them change my feeding schedule to be spread over 90 minutes per feeding in the hopes that that would make it easier for me to digest - I hope so, since I'm tired of having to be messed with every time I spit up!

Finally when everything was back on they swaddled me up and let me go to sleep.  It was a busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment