Saturday, December 31, 2011

28-30 December 2011


28 December


Well, loyal readers, I'm sorry if this blog is becoming a bit stale of late, there's just really never much major news to report.  I'm still at the hospital, still trying to get my eating patterns down so they'll let me go, and that's about it.  I've gotten better with the feedings but apparently not better enough - seem to be stuck at handling around 90-95% of my feedings, just can't seem to get that last 5 to 10 percent, which I then need to have gavaged, and I guess they won't let me go till I can do a full day's feedings on my own.  Sigh...

Anyhow, on Wednesday I was pretty sleepy most of the day.  Mom came in the afternoon to feed me (which ironically was a gavage feeding) but I did try to wake up and visit with her a little bit when she showed up.  I was so sleepy I was trying to remember who she was...

 ...then remembered and had a "Eureka" moment.

(though I was a bit confused why she wasn't feeding me herself)

After my feeding was done she held me on her chest and I got nice and cozy and fell back asleep.



She stayed and held me for awhile then put me back to sleep in my crib.


I think Mom still needs a little more practice with her new camera phone to get the exposures right ;-)


29 December


I guess Mom and Dad have been on alternating visit schedules since Rory went home, so today Dad came to see me.  Like yesterday, I was sleepy, but I was able to wake up enough for him to feed me.

...Or to be honest I should say to start to feed me, since in what is apparently my usual M.O., I got too tired to finish and gave up about 90% of the way through (took ~48 ml of a 55 ml feeding).  So Dad held me while they gavaged the rest.

I was kind of sleepy after my feeding but did perk up a little bit when Dad showed me one of the books I got for Christmas - I like the pictures, they're all black and white so lots of contrast!

However, interesting as the book was it wasn't enough to keep me awake for long so Dad put me back to bed.  He put me on my left side since the OT had left a note not to put me to sleep him on my right side since they had been doing that a lot and she wanted to make sure my head stayed rounded.  I agree, thanks OT!



30 December


I had a short apnea overnight but the doctors aren't worried - it came while I was being fed, and they think it was just that the nurse wasn't pacing me enough (and no, I don't think I should have to pace myself, isn't that what all these other people in the hospital are for?)

When Mom came to visit in the afternoon I was already awake and ready for action:





So she took me out and breastfed me.  I did pretty well, took most of my feeding that way so they only had to give a little bit via bottle.


However, in what can only be termed a very poor decision, they also chose that time to give me my vitamins, meaning that instead of dissolving them in 30-50 ml like usual, they were only mixed with about ten, which is NOT enough to hide the taste - and they taste YUCKY!  So I responded in the only logical way, but spitting them (as well as most of the rest of my feeding) back up all over Mom.  She was not so happy.


In my defense, I had least had the decency to look ashamed afterward:

So once I was back on her good side I checked out the situation and decided I had done enough damage and it was time to go back to bed.


Good night!

1 comment:

  1. He looks great and I hope that he is able to get home for all of you!!!! I will say some extra prayers that he can do his feedings as well as they want him to. We actually brought Isaac home with an NG tube and he had it out within a couple of weeks of coming home. Not sure if maybe that would be an option for you guys since it seems to be all that is holding him back? I also remember wondering about those "apnea" episodes when they were eating or in a deep sleep...I wondered if "normal" babies did this but we just didn't know because we weren't monitoring them so closely with all the alarms, etc. Hang in there. You all are doing an INCREDIBLE job and I know that you feel so VERY blessed...this will be part of your testimony and I know that this experience has and will continue to "grow" you all as a family...God chose all of you to walk this journey and though it is a struggle sometimes and I know that sometimes there are questions as to "why" and all, I pray that you will see the fruits of this "little bump" in life. Continuing to lift all of you up in prayer. And hurry home little Ben!!!! Love to you all, E

    ReplyDelete